Chureito Pagoda is one of the most photographed and one of the most beautiful spots in Japan! Located in Asakura Sengen Shrine in Arakura Sengen Park the Chureito Pagoda is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2013. Chureito pagoda was built in 1963 as a piece of memorial. Today Chureito Pagoda is one of the most iconic places to photograph Mount Fuji from. But if you want to enjoy the marvellous views too, you will first have to climb the 400 steps starting from Shiogama Shrine.
We visited Chureito Pagoda in the morning on the second day of our trip to Kawaguchiko. Actually, we decided to visit the region around Kawaguchi Lake exactly because of Chureito Pagoda! We were more than lucky to have some beautiful weather like this in June! The statistics show that Mt. Fuji is totally visible only on four days in June and partly visible on 10 days during that month. We were going to stay in Kawaguchiko Area for two nights so that the chance of seeing Mt. Fuji was not big at all!
If the weather is good, try to visit the pagoda in the very early morning! This is the best chance of seeing Mount Fuji without any clouds.
Chureito Pagoda is a five-storied pagoda on the mountainside that offers probably the very best view over Fujiyoshida City and Mt. Fuji when the weather allows it!
Mt.Fuji is one of the most popular tourist attraction and the symbol of Japan. For all of you who will ask why we didn’t climb Mt. Fuji? The answer is – it was not possible to! The official climbing season starts at the beginning of July and goes to mid-September. Only during these months all the trails and mountain facilities are open. Therefore we decided to visit at least the region around Mt. Fuji and Lake Kawaguchi.
The panorama from Chureito Pagoda proves that Mt. Fuji is not only good for hiking but the view of itself is also a great enjoyment!
In order to enjoy the marvellous views from Chureito Pagoda, you will first have to climb the 400 steps starting from Shiogama Shrine. The viewing point is located up behind the pagoda. Once you reach the viewing deck you will be able to have the marvellous view of Mount Fuji only for yourself (at least we were alone, as we visited the pagoda in the early morning). We stayed at the viewing deck for about 45 minutes as I could stop capturing some numerous and unforgettable moments.
How to get to Chureito Pagoda?
From Mt. Fuji Station in Kawaguchiko take the Local Kawaguchiko Train called Fujikyuko Line and get off at Shimoyoshida Station after 6 minutes. After leaving Shimoyoshida station, follow the signs that will take you to Shiogama Shrine. From here you have to climb the 400 steps up to Chureito Pagoda.
5 Interesting Facts about Chureito Pagoda
- Iconic Landmark: Chureito Pagoda is an iconic landmark located in Fujiyoshida, Japan, near the base of Mount Fuji. Its distinctive red color and stunning setting against the backdrop of the mountain make it a popular destination for photographers and tourists alike.
- Historical Significance: The pagoda was built in 1963 as a peace memorial to honor the soldiers from Yamanashi Prefecture who lost their lives in World War II. It stands as a symbol of hope, peace, and tranquility in the region.
- Scenic Viewpoint: Chureito Pagoda offers a breathtaking panoramic view of Mount Fuji, particularly during the cherry blossom season in spring when the surrounding area bursts into a sea of pink blooms. Climbing the steep steps to reach the pagoda rewards visitors with a stunning vista that is often featured in postcards and travel magazines.
- Cherry Blossom Festival: The nearby Arakurayama Sengen Park hosts an annual Cherry Blossom Festival, where visitors can enjoy the beauty of thousands of cherry trees in full bloom. The pagoda provides a picture-perfect frame for capturing the enchanting scene and is a popular spot for hanami (flower viewing) gatherings.
Instagrammable Spot: Chureito Pagoda has gained significant popularity on social media platforms, particularly Instagram, for its captivating views and photogenic appeal. Its serene ambiance, combined with the majestic presence of Mount Fuji, creates a mesmerizing backdrop that has made it a favorite spot for photography enthusiasts from around the world.
Where to Stay in Fujiyama, Japan
As you would expect from a major travel destination in Asia, Japan has no shortage of options when it comes to accommodation. As always, I’d suggest you stay somewhere central, to make accessing all the attractions as easy as possible.
These hotels in Fujiyama Japan provide a range of accommodations, from traditional ryokans to modern resorts, ensuring a memorable and enjoyable stay while exploring the majestic beauty of the region.
Fuji View Hotel: Situated near Lake Kawaguchi, Fuji View Hotel offers stunning views of Mount Fuji and a serene atmosphere. The hotel features traditional Japanese-style rooms, hot spring baths, and various dining options, including authentic kaiseki cuisine.
- Hoshinoya Fuji: Located in the Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park, Hoshinoya Fuji offers a unique glamping experience with luxurious cabins surrounded by nature. Each cabin provides breathtaking views of Lake Kawaguchi and Mount Fuji, and guests can enjoy activities such as canoeing and stargazing.
- Fuji Onsenji Yumedono: This luxury ryokan is set in a peaceful location surrounded by nature, offering a serene retreat for visitors. Fuji Onsenji Yumedono features elegantly designed rooms with private hot spring baths and exquisite traditional Japanese cuisine. The hotel’s tranquil gardens and outdoor hot spring baths provide a serene atmosphere to unwind and admire the beauty of Mount Fuji.
Highland Resort Hotel & Spa: Located near Fuji-Q Highland amusement park, Highland Resort Hotel & Spa offers comfortable rooms with modern amenities and scenic views of Mount Fuji. Guests can enjoy a variety of recreational facilities, including a spa, hot spring baths, and even a theme park. The hotel also features multiple dining options to suit different tastes.
You Might Be Interested In
Planning a trip to Japan?
Begin your search for the perfect accommodation now while the excitement is still fresh in your mind. Discover stylish and affordable options, and find the best accommodations at the lowest prices:
- Explore a wide range of hotels in Japan by clicking here (Booking.com)
- Explore a wide range of hotels in Japan by clicking here (Tripadvisor)
- Explore a wide range of hotels in Japan by clicking here (Agoda)
- Discover affordable hostels in Japan by clicking here (Hostelworld)
- Easily compare prices and book hotels in Japan by clicking here (Hotellook).
As a trusted platform, 12Go Asia offers convenient booking services for trains, buses, ferries, and flights across multiple Asian countries. 12Go Asia has a user-friendly interface and reliable connections, you can easily plan and book your transportation, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable journey throughout your Asian adventure.
Private Airport Transfers
Kiwitaxi is a popular online platform that specializes in providing private airport transfers and transportation services worldwide. It offers convenient and reliable door-to-door transfers between airports, hotels, and other destinations. With Kiwitaxi, you can pre-book private taxis or minivans with professional drivers, ensuring a comfortable and hassle-free journey.
Rental Car in Japan
If you enjoy guided tours, here you ca
When it comes to travel insurance, we understand the importance of finding reliable coverage that suits your needs. That’s why we highly recommend Safety Wing – a trusted provider offering comprehensive travel insurance plans even for digital nomads. Safeguard your travels and gain peace of mind by exploring the excellent coverage options provided by Safety Wing.
Enjoy the day!
*Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Rest assured, we only recommend products and services that meet our high standards and that we genuinely believe in. The opinions expressed are solely our own and are based on our personal experience.